1. coming or resulting from a natural impulse or tendency; without effort or premeditation; natural and unconstrained; unplanned: a spontaneous burst of applause.
2. (of a person) given to acting upon sudden impulses.
3. (of natural phenomena) arising from internal forces or causes; independent of external agencies; self-acting.
4. growing naturally or without cultivation, as plants and fruits; indigenous.
5. produced by natural process.
Defining Someday can be great; looking forward and setting dreams and plans in place for future achievement and success is important. But what about the here and now? What if you find an unexpected opportunity or challenge that wasn’t in The Plan? And how do you know if you need to be more spontaneous?
Signs that You’re Lacking Spontaneity
- You always go to the same restaurant, coffee shop, grocery store, or clothing store
- You can’t remember the last time you met someone new
- Your friends can predict your whereabouts or activities down to the hour
- You always eat the same things for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- You can’t remember what it feels like to be lost
- Your friends stop sending new ideas your way because they know you won’t be interested
- You get frustrated and shut down when plans change and you have to deal with uncertainty
How to Be More Spontaneous
1. Recognize your Ruts – Be conscious of your habits and patterns and see what areas are stale. Ask people who know you to offer their insight, or keep a journal that tracks your activities and emotions.
2. Identify the Cause – What is your comfort zone and why are you trying to stay inside it?
3. Weigh Worst Case vs. Best Case – What is the worst that can happen if you take a leap and try something new? What are the possible rewards? When trying to decide whether to jump or stand back, weigh the outcomes. You’ll probably be surprised at how little you have to lose and how much you have to gain.
4. Say Yes - Yes Man (the movie) is a great look at what can happen when we stop making excuses and just say yes. When an opportunity comes your way, accept it and see where it takes you!
5. Do One Thing a Day That Scares You – It doesn’t matter how small it is, just do one thing a day that you are afraid of. But nothing crazy-dangerous, please. More call-your-friend-who-is-mad-at-you scary.
6. Stay Fresh – Stay in the habit of constantly reinventing yourself and trying new activities. Be interesting!
I loved this article about spontaneity: Jump! at Yoga Happening. How do you be spontaneous?